Entertailment Page

Entertainment






👁 :
Israel ramps up military assault on occupied West Bank for second day
Catagory:News
Author:
Posted Date:08/29/2024
Posted By:utopia online

The Israeli military called in reinforcements as it escalated its assault on the occupied West Bank for a second day. At least 12 people have been killed since the start of the operation across the territory, the Palestinian news agency Wafa reported on Thursday.At least 20 Palestinians, including children, have so far been imprisoned by Israeli forces, according to the Commission of Detainees and Ex-Detainees Affairs and the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society, who warned on Thursday that the number could rise as the raids continue. In the Nur Shams refugee camp, the Israeli military claimed on Thursday that it had killed five Palestinian fighters who were hiding in a mosque. Among them was the commander of the Tulkarem Battalion, Mohamed Jaber, also known as Abu Shuja’a, it said. The military said Abu Shuja’a had directed the shooting and killing of an Israeli man in Qalqilya in June. The Israeli raids started on Wednesday in the areas of Jenin, Tulkarem and the Far’a refugee camp near Tubas in the largest assault there in 20 years as the military claims to be targeting “armed terrorists who posed a threat to security forces”. Reporting from Tulkarem, Al Jazeera’s Nida Ibrahim said while the Israeli military has been launching daily attacks on the territory “this one is on a different scale” as its forces “have raided four refugee camps at the same time. “There is a lot of fear and anxiety among residents,” she said.The operations widened overnight to the south of Bethlehem, the Arroub refugee camp, north of Hebron, Nablus city, and the village of Nabi Saleh, northwest of Ramallah, according to Wafa. Ibrahim also reported that the escalation comes as “no surprise” to Palestinians “who have seen raids intensify and expand every day since October 7”.The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that since Israel’s war on Gaza began on October 7, 136 Palestinians have been killed and 41 injured in Israeli air strikes. All of the killings, except one, occurred in the occupied West Bank’s northern governorates. In a statement, Amnesty International condemned Israel’s military assault as a “horrifying spike in lethal force “It is likely that these operations will result in an increase in forced displacement, destruction of critical infrastructure and measures of collective punishment, which have been key pillars of Israel’s system of apartheid against Palestinians and of its unlawful occupation of the Occupied Palestinian Territory,” said Erika Guevara Rosas, Amnesty’s senior director for research, advocacy, policy and campaigns. Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz had on Wednesday already suggested the forced displacement of Palestinians. He wrote on X that addressing the threat of “terror infrastructures ” in the Jenin and Tulkarem refugee camps by all necessary means includes “intense combat” and “in some cases …​ ​allowing the population to temporarily evacuate from one neighbourhood to another within the refugee camp”. Israel’s temporary evacuation orders have been repeatedly used in Gaza, displacing tens of thousands of people to so-called “humanitarian safe zones” which are then attacked by the military. Palestinian rights groups, including the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights, Al-Haq, and Al Mezan Center for Human Rights, warned on Thursday of Israeli tactics in the territory that “mirror” those used in “Israel’s genocidal campaign in Gaza”


Type:Social
👁 :
Three months into their global cruise, they've not left Belfast
Catagory:Reading
Author:
Posted Date:08/29/2024
Posted By:utopia online

Passengers on a round-the-world cruise have been left stranded in Belfast for three months after their voyage was beset by delays. Villa Vie Residences' Odyssey arrived at Queen’s Island in the Northern Ireland capital to be outfitted before it was scheduled to leave on 30 May for the first leg of a three-year cruise. But the ship has still not left yet thanks to problems with its rudders and gearbox. Florida resident Holly Hennessey is among those on board to have "hunkered down" and made the city their unexpected home.Travelling with her cat, Captain, has meant the self-proclaimed "cruise addict" has been unable to leave Belfast while waiting for the ship to be ready. Passengers are allowed to spend time on the ship during the day, but must disembark in the evenings. "We can spend all day aboard the ship, and they provide shuttle buses to get on and off," Ms Hennessey said. "We can have all of our meals and they even have movies and trivia entertainment, almost like cruising except we're at the dock."Despite enjoying the sights, the damp weather has been a shock for the US native. "I've never had so much use for my umbrella in my life, and I carry my raincoat everywhere I go." Passengers on the cruise were given the option of buying their cabin outright rather than paying a daily rate for their room like a traditional hotel. It allows them to remain onboard beyond the Villa Vie Residences' Odyssey's initial three-year tour. "I want to stay just as long as I am able,” she said. “I have always wanted to live on a ship, and it will be a dream come true for me."Villa Vie Residences' website states that the cost of buying a cabin can range from $99,999 to $899,000. Ms Hennessey’s cabin has space for a double bed, small living area with room for the cat and a balcony. "Villa Vie is a community and a real community has pets,” she said. The company says they are trying to do everything they can to "relieve the anxiety" of passengers by planning trips and other cruises or putting them up in hotels. Angela and Stephen Theriac lived in Nicaragua and have made the most of their wait. Since May they have travelled by train around Spain, taken weekend trips to England, and visited Greenland. "We are travellers, and we want to make the most of the place we are in,” said Ms Theriac. “We keep teasing we will apply for residency here in Belfast." Her husband Stephen says they have settled in with the locals. "We have eaten in every restaurant and had a Guinness in every pub,” he said. “It is just all part of our adventure."Dr David Austin, from Georgia in the United States, says he has "stopped counting down" the days until the ship launches. "The payoff of seeing the world in this fashion is too great to feel too disappointed with each delay announcement," he said. “I was committed, having sold my house right before my arrival, and I’ve stayed committed to this adventure with every delay."CEO Mike Petterson said that he expects the ship to launch by the end of next week. "We're not focused on the next days or weeks, we are focused on the rest of our lives and what this company will do for the residents and the industry," he said. Mr Petterson explained that Villa Vie Residences' Odyssey is the first "affordable" residential cruise ship. "When you're the first at doing something, you will run into hiccups, but we're definitely getting there, and although we are late, we will launch," he added. SOERCE:BBC


Type:Event
👁 :
ከቡና ወጪ ንግድ በታሪክ የመጀመሪያው ከፍተኛ ገቢ ተመዘገበ
Catagory:News
Author:
Posted Date:08/29/2024
Posted By:utopia online

በ2016 በጀት ዓመት ከቡና ወጪ ንግድ 1 ነጥብ 43 ቢሊየን የአሜሪካ ዶላር ገቢ መገኘቱን የኢትዮጵያ ቡናና ሻይ ባለስልጣን አስታወቀ። የባለስልጣኑ የሕዝብ ግንኙነትና ኮሙኒኬሽን ሥራ አስፈጻሚ አቶ ሳህለማሪያም ገ/መድህን ለፋና ብሮድካስቲንግ ኮርፖሬት እንዳሉት÷ከቡና ምርት የሚገኘውን ገቢ ለማሳደግ በትኩረት እየተሰራ ነው፡፡ በዚህም መሰረት የቡና ምርት ጥራትን ማሳደግ፣ የግብይት ሰንሰለቱን ማዘመንና የውጪ ምንዛሬ ማስገኘት ላይ በትኩረት መሰራቱን አንስተዋል፡፡ በተጠናቀቀው በጀት ዓመት ከ299 ሺህ ቶን በላይ ቡና ወደ ተለያዩ ሀገራት በመላክ 1 ነጥብ 43 ቢሊየን የአሜሪካ ዶላር ገቢ መገኘቱን ተናግረዋል፡፡ ይህም ኢትዮጵያ ቡናን ወደ ውጪ መላክ ከጀመረችበት ጊዜ አንስቶ በታሪክ የመጀመሪያው ከፍተኛ ገቢ መሆኑን ነው የገለጹት፡፡ ቡና ወደ ውጪ ከተላከባቸው ሀገራት መካከል ሳዑዲ ዓረቢያ፣ አሜሪካ፣ ጀርመን፣ ቤልጂዬምና ደቡብ ኮሪያ ቀዳሚውን ድርሻ እንደሚይዙ አመልክተዋል፡፡


Type:Social
👁 :
Ukraine's long-range drones using Western tech to hit Russia
Catagory:News
Author:
Posted Date:08/29/2024
Posted By:utopia online

Western technology and finance are helping Ukraine carry out hundreds of long-range strikes inside Russia. That is despite Nato allies still refusing to give Ukraine permission to use Western-supplied munitions to do so – mostly because of fears of escalation. Ukraine has been stepping up its long-range strikes inside Russia over the past few months, launching scores of drones simultaneously at strategic targets several times a week. The targets include air force bases, oil and ammunition depots and command centres. Ukrainian firms are now producing hundreds of armed one-way attack drones a month, at a fraction of the cost it takes to produce a similar drone in the West.has been briefed by a number of those involved in these missions. They include one of Ukraine’s largest one-way attack drone manufacturers, as well as a big data company which has helped develop software for Ukraine to carry out these strikes. Francisco Serra-Martins says the strategy is already creating huge dilemmas for Moscow. He believes that with extra investment, it will turn the tide of the war in Ukraine’s favour. Eighteen months ago, the company he co-founded, Terminal Autonomy, didn’t even exist. It is now producing more than a hundred AQ400 Scythe long-range drones a month, with a range of 750km (465 miles). The company also makes hundreds of shorter range AQ100 Bayonet drones a month, which can fly a few hundred kilometres.


Type:Social
👁 :
AI chip giant Nvidia shares fall despite record sales
Catagory:News
Author:
Posted Date:08/29/2024
Posted By:utopia online

Shares in Nvidia have fallen despite the artificial intelligence (AI) chip giant comfortably beating expectations after more than doubling its sales. Nvidia announced record revenues of $30bn (£24.7bn) over a three-month period. The company has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of the AI boom, with its stock market value soaring to more than $3 trillion. But while analysts have grown used to Nvidia producing "spectacular" sales growth, the latest results indicate "that rate of growth was starting to slow," said Simon French, head of research at Panmure Liberum. Analysts had forecast sales growth of $28.7bn for the three months to 28 July. Nvidia surpassed this with revenues increasing by 122% compared to the same period last year. But Nvidia's share price fell by 6% in after-hours trading in New York. "It’s less about just beating estimates now," said Matt Britzman, senior equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown. "Markets expect them to be shattered and it’s the scale of the beat today that looks to have disappointed a touch." Announcing the latest results, Nvidia chief executive Jensen Huang said: "Generative AI will revolutionise every industry."If you’re going to raise expectations that high then you’ve got to keep growing at spectacular rates." He added that while its current AI chip - called Hopper - is selling well, the next generation Blackwell chip "has faced some production delays and that perhaps is one of the reasons why Wall Street after hours sold off the stock". Nvidia's results have become a quarterly event which sends Wall Street into a frenzy of buying and selling shares. A "watch party" had been planned in Manhattan, according to the Wall Street Journal, while Mr Huang, famed for his signature leather jacket, has been dubbed the "Taylor Swift of tech". Alvin Nguyen, senior analyst at Forrester, told the both Nvidia and Mr Huang have become the "face of AI". This has helped the company so far, but it could also hurt its valuation if AI fails to deliver after firms have invested billions of dollars in the technology, Mr Nguyen said. "A thousand use cases for AI is not enough. You need a million." Mr Nguyen also said Nvidia's first-mover advantage means it has market-leading products, which its customers have spent decades using and has a "software ecosystem". He said that rivals, such as Intel, could "chip away" at Nvidia's market share if they developed a better product, though he said this would take time.


Type:Technology
👁 :
በስልጤ ዞን ለጎርፍ አደጋ ዘላቂ መፍትሄ ለመስጠት እየተሰራ መሆኑ ተጠቆመ
Catagory:News
Author:
Posted Date:08/29/2024
Posted By:utopia online

በስልጤ ዞን በተደጋጋሚ ለሚከሰተው የጎርፍ አደጋ ዘላቂ መፍትሄ ለመስጠት እየሰራ መሆኑን የማዕከላዊ ኢትዮጵያ ክልል አደጋ ስጋት ስራ አመራር ኮሚሽን አስታወቀ። የክልሉ አደጋ ስጋት ኮሚሽነር ማዕረጉ ማቴዎስ ለፋና ብሮድካስቲንግ ኮርፖሬት እንደገለጹት ፥ በስልጢ እና በምስራቅ ስልጢ ወረዳዎች ተከታታይ የጎርፍ አደጋ እየተከሰተ ነው። በዚህም ክልሉ ዘላቂ መፍትሔ መስጠት የሚያስችል የባለሙያዎች የቴክኒክ ቡድን ያደራጀ ሲሆን ፥ ከፌደራል መንግስት ጋር በቅንጅት የችግሩን መሰረታዊ ምንጭ የመለየት ስራ እንደሚሰራም ተናግረዋል ። በተጨማሪም ክልሉና የፌደራል መንግሥት ዞኑንና ማህበረሰቡን በማሳተፍ የዝናብ ወቅት ላይ የሚገኘውን ውሃ ወደ እድል መቀየር የሚያስችል ዝግጅት እየተደረገ መሆኑንም ነው የገለጹት። የበጋ ወራት ላይ የክልሉ እና የፌዴራል መንግስት ጥናቱን መነሻ አድርገው ዘላቂ መፍትሔ መስጠት የሚያስችል ዝግጅት እየተደረገ መሆኑንም ነው ያነሱት። በክልሉ ስልጤ ዞን በ2 ወረዳዎችና 8 ቀበሌዎች በደረሰው የጎርፍ አደጋ ለተጎዱ 6 ሺህ ሰዎች ድጋፍ ቢደረግም በቂ እንዳልሆነም ነው የተገለጸው። የስልጤ ዞን አደጋ ስጋት ስራ አመራር ጽህፈት ቤት ሃላፊ ወ/ሮ ወሲላ አሰፋ በበኩላቸው ፥ በበልግና መኽር የለማ 1ሺህ ሄክታር ላይ የነበረ ሰብል በውሃ መጥለቅለቁን ገልጸው ዝናቡ በዚሁ ከቀጠለ ሰብሉ ከጥቅም ውጭ ይሆናል ብለዋል ። በአሁኑ ወቅትም ማሽነሪ አስገብቶ ውሃውን ለማፋሰስ አስቸጋሪ በመሆኑ ዝናቡ ሲቋረጥ ስራው እንደሚከናወን የተናገሩ ሲሆን÷ በጎርፍ አደጋው የተፈናቀሉ ዜጎችን በተለያዩ አካባቢዎች የማስፈር ስራ እየተሰራ እንደሆነም ጠቁመዋል ፡፡


Type:Technology
👁 :
K-pop singer leaves boy band over sexual crime accusation
Catagory:News
Author:
Posted Date:08/29/2024
Posted By:utopia online

South Korean singer Taeil has left the K-pop band NCT after being accused of an unspecified sexual crime, his label announced on Wednesday. The 30-year-old's agency, SM Entertainment, released a statement on X, saying the NCT member will depart from the boy band after learning he has been "accused in a criminal case related to a sexual crime". The label did not specify the nature of the alleged crime but said it "recognised the seriousness of the situation" and decided Taeil, whose legal name is Moon Tae-il, can no longer "continue his activities with the team". Taeil has not publicly commented on the allegations. SM Entertainment added that he is fully cooperating with the police investigation. "We will provide further statements as the investigation progresses," the statement, which was posted in Korean and translated by Associated Press, said. The Bangbae Police Station in Seoul announced it was investigating Taeil in relation to a sexual crime, according to South Korean media.Taeil was part of NCT, or Neo Culture Technology, a globally popular South Korean boy band that debuted in 2016. The group currently has over two dozen members divided into several subunits, including NCT 127, NCT Dream, and NCT Wish. Taeil was recently active in NCT 127. On 15 August last year, Taeil got into a car accident in downtown Seoul, in South Korea, while travelling on his motorcycle. He temporarily suspended his schedules to focus on treatment and recovery. Known for experimental music spanning various genres, NCT has gained international attention with some releases charting on Billboard lists. K-pop originated from South Korea and is an amalgamation of pop, R&B and hip-hop. It has grown into a global phenomenon, particularly after the success of the boy band BTS in the late 2010s.


Type:Social
👁 :
ኢራን ከአሜሪካ ጋር በኒውክሌር ዙሪያ ለመደራደር በሯን ከፈተች
Catagory:News
Author:
Posted Date:08/29/2024
Posted By:utopia online

ኢራን ከአሜሪካ ጋር በኒውክሌር ዙሪያ ለመደራደር ዝግጁ መሆኗን አስታውቃለች፡፡ የኢራን ከፍተኛ መሪ አያቶላህ አሊ ካሜኒ በቴህራን የኒውክሌር ፕሮግራም ላይ ከአሜሪካ ጋር እንደገና ለመደራደር ለሀገሪቱ መንግስት “ምንም እንቅፋት የለም” ብለዋል። በለውጥ አራማጁ የኢራኑ ፕሬዚዳንት መስዑድ ፔዜሽኪያን መንግስት ለሚደረጉ ማናቸውም ንግግሮች ግልፅ ቀይ መስመር ማስቀመጣቸው የተነገረ ሲሆን፥ አሜሪካ አትታመንም ሲሉ ማስጠንቀቃቸውም ነው የተነሳው፡፡ ካሜኒ በበኩላቸው፥ “ተስፋን በጠላት ላይ ማኖር የለብንም፤ የጠላት ስምምነት እቅዳችንን እንዲቀጥል መጠበቅ የለብንም” ብለዋል። የ80 ዓመቱ አያቶላህ አሊ ካሜኔ የፔዜሽኪያንን ካቢኔ “አትመኗቸው” ሲሉም አስጠንቅቀዋል ሲል የዘገበው አፍሪካ ኒውስ ነው፡፡ አያቶላህ በአብዛኛው በሁሉም የኢራን መንግስት ጉዳዮች ላይ የመጨረሻ ውሳኔ ሲወስኑ ይታያሉ፡፡


Type:Social

Page 83 of 99